France’s former president Nicolas Sarkozy said that he might consider taking his appeal against a corruption conviction to the European Court of Human Rights, writes France24.
“I can’t accept being convicted for something I didn’t do”, - Sarkozy told the French daily Le Figaro a day after he was found guilty of corruption and handed a three-year prison sentence.
The sentence, which deals a major blow to any lingering political ambitions the 66-year-old might have, includes two years suspended and the remaining year to be served at home with an electronic bracelet.
The judgment was “riddled with inconsistencies”, - Sarkozy told Le Figaro. It “doesn’t provide any proof, but just a bundle of circumstantial evidence”.
Sarkozy, who was president for one term between 2007 and 2012, had already said on Monday that the findings were “totally unfounded and unjustified” and that he would appeal.